It’s been a tough year on the economic front and, if you are feeling the pinch, we have some great ideas to celebrate the end of the business year in style, without breaking the bank. There are two leading trends right now that many big brands are incorporating into their staff events (and into their everyday schedules) to keep their workforce positive, motivated and happy – namely wellness initiatives and technology.
If you are thinking that these two seem to be on polar opposite sides of the scale, you are probably right; however, they are both central to the drive and interests of the modern individual.
Here at Birchwood, we are well-suited to catering to both these trends – within your budget – as we offer everything you need on-site. Here’s how you can incorporate these trends to ensure a year-end function that both on trend and within budget:
- Bring out the inner child. Studies have shown that by recapturing a sense of childhood, a person can experience joy and happiness that overpowers any anxiety, negativity or conflict with others. Brighten up your employees’ day and eliminate any internal office tension with a child-like activity. A night theme like glow in the dark will allow them to bring their creativity to the table or throw in an unusual activity like sumo wrestling and it is bound to have even the grumpiest office member laughing.
With over 60 venues, we have something to suit any size workforce and we can adjust various areas to the activity of your choice. Our open garden areas near the Boma or our Phomolong banqueting venues are perfect large spaces to do outdoor teambuilding activities without being too far away from our eating venues. We will also adapt seating to your needs and our creative on-site décor experts are on hand to take your theme to the next level. View our conferencing venues here!
- Incorporate a cause. Donating to charity is not only going to help those in need but it will also help your employees feel a sense of purpose – an important aspect of personal drive and self-worth according to latest research into what makes us happy.
If in sales, announce that an allocation of each of their sales will be donated to a charity; this will not only give them a greater sense of accomplishment, but also motivate them to make more sales the following year. And at each year end function, give kudos to the employee who has donated the most. You could also incorporate the cause into an activity – Santa’s Shoebox is a great initiative that requires you to donate a box of low-cost necessities to children in need. Set them up at tables and get them to decorate and pack their boxes for donation.
At Birchwood, we give back with our own charitable initiative for the East Rand community – the Ukajede Foundation. We sponsor eight creches in the area for orphans and struggling parents to ensure that their children receive their basic human rights. We also sponsor a few of the older children’s education at Balmoral School. Find out how you can get involved here!
- Teach an interesting skill. Organise a wine-tasting class or bring in a dance instructor to add some more fun interaction into the mix or teach them how to manage their stress with yoga or meditation class in our manicured gardens.
- Photobooth madness. The selfie generation is still rife and there’s no better bonding activity than a photobooth full of props for them to play with and capture memories of the day to take home. While treating them to a delicious lunch or dinner, made by the talented chefs on our banqueting team, put these photos on a loop on the big screen to add an extra entertainment and to add atmosphere of the day. Find out more about our banqueting packages and venues here!
- Suitably influenced. Finally, bring in a social media influencer that relates to your industry to do a talk on how they can make more sales, connections in the industry, or simply maintain a professional persona by using their social media platforms. It is a great way to ensure your staff aren’t giving your company a bad name posting questionable images online, while at the same time turning them into business-generating tools.
Feeling inspired? So are we and we can’t wait to hear how we can make your ideas work this year on your budget. You can now build your own quote to ensure that you are getting the best value for money option tailored to your budget – no hidden additions, just straight forward business.