It has been a very gratifying year for The People for Ukajede Foundation, an initiative founded by Birchwood in 2004 that provides food and essentials for the children in eight creches on the East Rand, thanks to the additional support of a number of local organisations who have been a part of the project this year.
Approximately 600 children are registered in all eight creches this year and it was a mammoth task to ensure that they got their nutritional needs catered to, and as such we’d. like to extend a heartfelt shout-out and a special thanks to the following organisations:
- huddleUp, a social innovations and CSI management company, for their assistance in ensuring that the project is managed carefully.
- Sizani Foods, feeding scheme suppliers, for their specialised meal products that provide balanced, nutritional and non-perishable meals designed for all ages.
- Schauenburg Systems, a mine safety equipment manufacturer, for providing the funding to build a new brick structure and container for the Happiness Creche that now functions as three classrooms, as well as sponsoring a fully functional bathroom facility with toilets and basins. In addition, they also funded 19 learner’s school fees at Balmoral College and paid a visit to each creche equipped with toys and wall charts for the children.
We also had a few projects up our sleeve for The People for Ukajede Foundation this year which included the completion of the following:
- Basic repairs and maintenance on all structures – particularly on the plumbing, roofs and doors.
- Purchase gas heaters for winter.
- The distribution of 60 fleece blankets to the creches.
- Educational toys and stationery supplies to assist with learning.
We welcome any companies or individuals interested in contributing towards the livelihoods of these children, often child-headed homes, to support us in our goals for next year:
- The continuation of the daily feeding initiative of 600 children.
- The continuation of sponsorship for 20 primary and high school learners at Balmoral College.
- The renovation of the other creches so that all these children can have a safe, comfortable learning environment.
- The training of teachers and caregivers.
Remember that for just R50, you can feed a child for a month! For more information or to get involved, visit the link below!