The Birchwood Hotel started the Ukajede Foundation in July 2004. Ukajede is an acronym for five informal settlements in the City of Ekurhuleni. These settlements have an estimated total population of 80 000 inhabitants. Birchwood currently donates food to the value of R30 000 a month as well as gas for cooking and stationery for the school-going children in the settlement. If you would like to contribute to this worthy cause or get involved in any way, please visit our dedicated website at www.ukajede.co.za.
Our activities to date include:
- Crèches formally registered with and recognized by the Gauteng Department of Education.
- A daily feeding scheme initiated in 2004, which continues to this day.
- Eight crèches have been built and uplifted, with running water and toilet facilities.
- Various pre-school teachers were registered for formal grade R training to ensure quality education.
- Several children sponsored to attend Balmoral College.
- Regular activities and events held throughout the year.
- Graduation Day celebrations for those leaving for primary school.
- Winter fundraising to supply the children with jackets and blankets to get through the cold winter periods.